Change in the processing of OTC (ISDA) derivatives has never been at a faster pace than now. Never before has the focus been so much on back office processes which until now were seen as necessary but unexciting. The arrival of the Dodd Frank Act, and the European Markets Infrastructure Regulations (EMIR) are driving a fundamental change in the structure of the OTC processing infrastructure.
Background on Bill Hodgson
I have worked with OTC products for nearly 20 years now, originally as an IT person, design, writing, testing and deploying systems. I graduated into the business side of the market, covering projects such as European Monetary Union, OTC Collateral Management, Central Clearing for IRS, The Trade Information Warehouse at DTCC, and lately various engagements on the OTC market infrastructure.
Readers who want to learn more about the OTC market infrastructure, and clearing of OTC products, are encouraged to look at the publications I’ve written or contributed to here. In particular Mastering Derivatives Markets 4th Edition has a whole chapter by myself on central clearing of OTC products, and overall is a perfect book for anyone wanting knowledge on OTC products and processing, whether beginner or intermediate.
Following the blog / getting updates
- RSS: For people unfamiliar with how to keep up with blogs automatically, have a look at this post on using RSS readers such as Google Reader. If you know about RSS click on the RSS Icon in the footer.
- Email: Use the “Updates via Email” box (in the footer also), and get emailed when new items are posted
- Kindle, iPad: You can read the blog via Amazon, see this post here
- If you are not a native english speaker, try using this Translate service to read the site in your own language.
Whilst I update the blog with commentary and news, some of the longer or more popular articles I’ve written are here:
- Michelle Neal (Nomura) on joining regional CCPs here
- Exotic OTC products, there’s an App for that here
- EMIR, all the texts from the different groups here
- Overview of the forthcoming LCH.Clearnet ForexClear service here
- Reuters suggesting CCPs are next “victims of the crisis” (I don’t think so) here
- Javelin, CME and real-time clearing here
- 2012 and barriers to implementing Dodd Frank here
- Collateral Transformation, smoke & mirrors? here
I have available a full two day course on Central Clearing for OTC products (here), and can customise this to suit your needs, get in touch.
The OTC Space Limited is a company registered at Companies House number 7314515.