My career has included a wide variety of businesses including cash registers, children’s games, RADAR, oil drilling and for the past 20 years in the capital markets, especially OTC derivatives. In the capital markets I initially worked on developing software to process OTC derivatives at Merrill Lynch, in the days when paper trade tickets were still the norm. Subsequently I have worked with major banks to improve their OTC processing capabilities, including with Barclays Capital as Head of OTC (ISDA) Projects, LCH.Clearnet as Head of Product Development for the SwapClear service and at DTCC to design, build and deploy the Trade Information Warehouse for Credit Default Swaps. I originally qualified at Greenwich University in Computing, and am a contributor to three books on OTC products and capital markets and am the owner of The OTC Space Ltd.
- Knowledge, education and training: As staff move into the OTC business, they sometimes need new knowledge on the products and processes involved. I can provide training on the main OTC contracts, how they work, what they are used for, how they are processed, and the market infrastructure used to process them. This includes the clearing workflows from the major CCPs.
- Regulatory Impact Analysis: Most firms need to ensure they are aware of the impacts of Dodd Frank & EMIR. A short review of your plans, awareness of the new regulations including interviews with key staff, can deliver a report indicating what actions needs to be taken to be prepared for the future of the OTC market
- Target Operating Model / Operational Design: Any firm obliged to begin clearing, will need to consider how the new CCP workflow fits into their front, middle and back office processes. I can provide focussed designs for new workflows, systems changes, control points and project initiation documents, to get your project going.
- Project Initiation: Following from the above, a firm needs to allocate investment to high priority projects. I can provide a full service to design a project including the requirements writing, build and test phases, including a staffing model, a cost model, business drivers and goals, to deliver a Project Initiation Document for approval to proceed.
- Project delivery: I can provide leadership to co-ordinate and drive your project(s) through to delivery. Using my subject matter knowledge and history of large scale infrastructure projects, I can motivate teams to deliver.
- Dodd Frank & EMIR impact analysis, plus a business case for client clearing, for a European Bank
- Service and process design, such as the integration between DTCC Trade Warehouse and CLS
- Change leadership, such as the LCH.Clearnet SwapClear Murex project
- Research, such as a study on legal, operational and risk netting for a middle eastern Bank
- Public speaking, on the OTC market, either personally, on a panel, or chairing a panel
- Industry change leadership, in many working groups over the years